Learn how to make your very own chess set with a few simple supplies!
- 2 pieces of paper
- 32 beans
- Grab one sheet of paper and turn it hamburger style (horizontal).
- You will fold the paper in half 3 times. You should be folding from left to right.
- At the folder, using a marker, draw a line from edge to edge. There should be 7 folds/lines total.
- Keeping the paper hamburger style, you will fold the paper 2 times from top to bottom.
- At the folder, using a marker, draw a line from edge to edge. There should be 3 folds/lines total.
- Good Job! You created the bottom half of the chess board. Repeat steps 1-5 with the other piece of paper. That piece of paper will go on top of the first.
- Next color the bottom left corner box. You’ll color every other square both vertical (upward) and horizontal (sideways) until your board looks like the one below.
- Now for the pieces. You will need 16 raw beans for player 1. You will also need 6 different colored markers. We will be using black, green, pink, yellow, blue and red. (If you use different colors, make sure you write down which color represents what figure).
- You will need :
- 8 Pawns: black
- 2 Rooks: green
- 2 Knights: pink
- 2 Bishops: yellow
- 1 King: blue
- 1 Queen: red
- For player 2, repeat sets 8 and 9. For player two, instead coloring the entire bean, only color half the bean. This will be how you tell player 1 & 2’s pieces apart.