Create a solar oven to make s’mores or nachos! Show us what you make with your solar oven in the comments below.
- Pizza box
- Aluminum foil
- Cling wrap or clear plastic bag
- Black paper
- Stick, skewer stick, popsicle stick, etc
- Food items to cook such as: chocolate, marshmallows, and graham crackers for smores, or chips and cheese for nachos
1. Cut a flap in the top of your pizza box
2. Line the inside of your box and the inside of your flap with aluminum foil.
3. Line the hole from your flap with cling wrap or a clear plastic bag creating a window. Use tape to hold it to the box.
4. Cut a piece of black paper to fit inside your box, place on top of the foil inside.
5. Tape a stick to hold up your flap. Now you have a completed oven.
6. Place the items you want to cook on a plate and put inside your oven. Make sure to use foods that won’t go bad in the sun and just need to be heated slightly to be safely eaten such as nachos or s’mores. For s’mores place a graham cracker, chocolate, and a marshmallow on your plate in your oven, keep the second graham cracker aside until melted. Place outside in the sunlight
The aluminum foil reflects the sunlight into the box. The plastic wrap allows the sunlight into the box and traps the heat inside. The black paper absorbs the sunlight and helps to increase the temperature of your oven, heating your snack.
7. After a little while, check your oven. After about 60 minutes I had a delicious melted s’more.